Wednesday 10 October 2007

Dangerously Disarming Dexter

There is a series about a serial killer forensic anthropologist named Dexter. It is a series of books, Darkly Dreaming Dexter is the first of the series. It is also a TV series on Showtime (called Dexter). I am in the middle of the first season and am loving it.

Dexter first strikes me as a little too forceful of his non-feelings, however above all, I like him. He's enchanting, disarming really. Haha. He solves crimes during the day and at night, he kills those that deserve justice, people who got away with murder. He puts on a front so people are not suspicious. He has a personal charm in that way. There is only one man that is not fooled by his charm and that is Sgt Doakes, a policeman that works with Dexter.

I love the music for it. It is rather western with some Spanish variant and an eeriness to it (think Donnie Darko). The theme is relatively nice. I like the theme, Tonight's the Night and Blood Theme. I do not often comment about music and soundtracks but this one is one I must own. Along with the season DVDs.

The opening to Dexter is very weird. It's just... strange. It reminds me of House in that it doesn't show the characters so much but representations of what the show is about/like. There are things such as a blood lemon (which is a lemon that has red pulp and juice) that has been squeezed. It looks like gore. He ties his shoes and it reminds you of tying people up or choking someone. He eats breakfast and puts ketchup on his eggs, which then looks like blood splatters. Things such as that. It's weird and I relatively like it. Much so more than the opening with the characters and the actors' names.

It is a mystery/crime and probably some horror to it, but it is great. Disturbing but great. If you're not fond of a lot of crime, then I would still give it a try. I personally do not like a lot of crime/mystery/horror. There's a lot of it that repulses or bores me. Dexter is such an intriguing character. He kills those that deserves it, but not for justice. He kills because he needs to. He has this need or lust that has to be satiated and so he does that.

(Narcissistic Note: I am bemused by my alliterative title. It's a pun because Dexter is dangerous, Dexter is disarming AND he probably disarms people... physically.)

No comments: