Tuesday 14 August 2007

The Alchemyst {The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel}

It took a while to decide what I should review. After all, the latest and last Harry Potter came out. Despite that, I chose The Alchemyst {The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel} by Michael Scott. (Michael Scott's website and the book's website, both a little hard to read until it loads completely. Amazon's page.)

I entered my local, small book retailer in town and spotted a new young adult's book displayed titled The Alchemyst. What really caught my eye was the Nicholas Flamel bit. As a reader of Harry Potter (not truly a big FAN fan, but I read it when it first comes out) it caught my eye. My first though was 'Oh, it's a rip-off! Must read.' (Some may ask why but you must remember that I read a fair share of BAD books as well as good.) A rip-off is something that was a must-read, especially a strange angle to use Nicholas Flamel. I read the back and found it was about hetero-twins, about a girl and boy rather than two girls or two boys, who had some prophecy written about them (possibly at least but we all know how these things go) and end up caught up in this magical fiasco with an immortal and his wife against others immortals (and probably THEIR wives). The bookseller said it was pretty good and I travelled off home to set it on my pile of books.

A little while later, I read it. Finished it. What surprised me was that it was NOT a Harry Potter rip-off. What also surprised me was that it was apart of a series and now I'm stuck in yet another one (this keeps happening). I like how it starts off in a flurry yet some how slightly calm beginning. AS for two teens, Sophie and John Newman, thrown into the middle of something strange and very weird, they are believable. They follow Nicholas' advice yet at the same time, they don't entirely trust him or anybody else that comes around. It is a new, scary world and they're going to stick with the only ones they know best, themselves. I'm just a few years older than them and what small crumbs of life I've had, I'd say that would be a typical way for the two to act. People act differently, but these two are realistic. Scott does not throw ALL information about these two at you right away. We get their reaction to a magical fight, not a lengthy boring introduction of their past. As the book moves along, we get the information.

This book is not all about characterisation. It has plot, fast moving plot too, as it should be. The two enter into the start of a magical, mythological and alchemical war which does not allow for slow pace. Some authors have to sacrifice characterisation for plot or vice versa. Scott actually uses a good medium for this. He enters in little tidbits about the characters' past every so often during the downing point in the storyline (whenever the characters rest, etc). Scott does use a bit of the 'describe the character rather than let the reader imagine', which is very common in young adult and childrens' books. I didn't mind how he did it, being a lot more skillful than normal. He has a lot of books out with this being his newest for young adults.

While Nicholas Flamel's name is on the cover, my favourite character would have to be Dr John Dee. The reason being is that Scott seems most in tune with him. A look at the author's note and he states that Dr John Dee was created (or formed rather, as he IS a real person) and he wanted to write a story about him, but being a naturally villainous character, he ended up being an antagonist.

Michael Scott is well versed in mythology and the like. It's part of his specialty. Meaning that as someone who likes mythology and folklore, I find it fun and amusing to see references to things I know and, if I don't know them, a new thing to learn or study. When coming across a joke about a god or a hint of who one might be (and trying to guess), it adds to the fun. Scott, being the Irish 'King of Fantasy' uses a lot more Celtic gods then other authors I've found. Being a slightly confusing mythology, it's great.

Overall, if you want to read a young adult and not get something a bit raw (from a budding author), I would suggest this. While not what I would call a new and inspiring book, it is very enjoyable. That may just be due to it being a new series, of course. (It was the same thought I had when I started Harry Potter ever so long ago.) Despite my slightly irritated surprise that it was apart of a series, I was also happy. While something that I'm going to have to continue (I like completing series, even if it DOES mean something like the Inheritance Series by Christopher Paoilini), I will do so bemusedly.

Currently Reading: Twinkies, Deconstructed by Steve Ettlinger
Currently Watching: Citizen Kane directed by Orson Welles
Currently Listening: Annabel Lee (Spoken) by The Cruxshadows and I Want It All by Queen

(Note: It is NOT taking me this long to watch Citizen Kane, it is that I like this movie. I was watching it last time because I was in the middle of a film class and NOW we received it in the mail through Netflix. If you want to watch a good movie, it would be something to watch. However keep in mind that the first time you'll watch SHOULD NOT BE YOUR LAST. It is something that gets better the more you watch it.)

1 comment:

joereader said...

i have read the 1st and second book of the series and i have to say that i am addicted. when ever a new charecter is added i have to search on wikipedia and they all or atleast the majority of them derive from norse mythology in acception of bastet an egyptian cat goddess . If u ask me that is a big turn on for the book.its also a really cool thing to know that the flamel legend is a true thing like alot of things in the book . But anyway just wanted to say that u gave a fairly great report.